Tuesday 17 July 2012

The Life of a Farmer

Today my mind is on our farm and this year's growing season.  Everywhere we look we see dryness.  I don't know how long it has been since we've had a good rain but certainly it has been too long.  Our back yard is a desert, the lawn is completely gone - too hard for barefeet to run on.
Notice the irrigation pipe across what used to be our lawn... we don't irrigate very often but these days it is most of the time.  We are thankful to have a creek to get water from but I'm sure they are monitoring the levels and will be ready to give it a break when needed.  Water is precious.
As farmers, we rely on the weather for our success and this year it is testing our limits.  All we can do it hope and pray for rain and be thankful for our blessings such as a well that continues to provide us with water for our home. 
I have almost given up on my own pots of flowers - they are showing the effects of too much heat and too little water.  As a farmer, that is trivial.  I find myself thinking about people who live is very dry climates and how they survive on the water that is give to them - this year it is our turn to understand their struggles and hope that next year it will be better for us.  As a farmer, there is always hope.

1 comment:

  1. So true Deb.i have been thinking of you guys and other friends who are farmers - difficult year for sure. Makes us think of those who deal with these conditions constantly, doesn't it? I'll be praying for rain for you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete