Monday 11 November 2013

Cookbook Collections

The other day I treated myself to a new cookbook... with a gift certificate to our local bookstore.


This is my second book from Chef Michael Smith because I just love his cooking philosophy and his books have beautiful photos.  I have quite a collection of cookbooks and once I got home, I wondered if I had room for it in my cupboard...


So it is left on my counter but that makes it easier to skim through when looking for inspiration for supper!  I have quite a collection of cookbooks and almost all of them have special meaning to me. I can't even imagine pairing them down or parting with any of them.  The first special book in my collection is the iconic "Better Homes and Garden" cookbook - a gift from my brother in 1999 when I was in university.  Our mom has this same book only a few versions earlier and it was used over and over again and mine is the same.  It is falling apart from so much use... usually for the basics such as making a roux, how long to roast a chicken, boiling eggs!  Nonetheless it would be my most cherished cookbook but over time my collection has grown.  When I got married, I was very fortunate to have a few bridal showers and received so many recipes from aunts, cousins, grandmas, mothers and friends.  I know that these recipes are tried and true!  My daughter and I use the "blue-ribbon chocolate chip cookie" recipe when making cookies for the junior fair.  The recipe is written in child-like printing and I know it was used for the same reason.  There are so many hand-written recipes that come from kitchens that I know of and I know good food comes from.
My friend Kelly gave me another favourite, a Plowing Match cookbook which is a collection of recipes from the host county of each Plowing Match and this particular book comes from her home area.  I love that book and have since collected more throughout the years.  I love to see recipes that come from a busy kitchen where the cook in the family has made real food that I can relate to, using ingredients that I can find and use often.
When my husband's Grandma Jean passed away we were able to take a few of her cookbooks and when Grandma Noreen moved into her apartment, she gave us some of her cookbooks as well.  I like finding her handwriting throughout her books and they are very special as they were used right in my very own kitchen in past years.
I am always adding to my vast collection and I now have quite a few cookbooks from some famous chefs (and other celebrities).  They are just beautiful books that I mostly just love looking through - filled with inspiring pictures, anecdotes and there are a few recipes that I actually try.

I also never throw out a magazine without going through the recipes and pulling out the ones I want to try.


I have this little cookbook stand that is always filled with torn out pages of recipes... sometimes sitting there for months just waiting to be tried out, such as homemade fruit roll-ups or low-sugar jam.
I treasure that cupboard full of cookbooks.  Must try to find a bigger cupboard in my kitchen so I can continue to add to my collection.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love your stories Deb... and of course, this one is a favourite because you know how much I love cookbooks too!

    ReplyDelete