Wednesday 14 December 2011

Feeling Like a Good Parent

Parenting can be tricky.  With all of the coverage on bullying in the news and in schools it is scary to watch your child grow up.  Ian and I frequently talk about how we are going to try our best to raise confident and caring children and have open communication with them.  We don't really know what we are doing though because we've never done this before - I do a lot of reading and talk to other parents.  Every situation is different, every child is different - and our kids are not necessarily like we were when we were kids.  Grace might seem similar to me but she is more confident and works hard at everything she does.  Therefore she might not make the same choices as I would - she isn't me. 

As I write this, feeling good about my parenting skills, Jean is having a temper tantrum regarding her soother.  Not one of my finer moments as a parent - letting her keep her soother past 3 years old!  We'll deal with that later.

This morning Grace came to me with a friendship problem.  We talked about how she can handle it at school and I felt amazing that she came to me for support!  She is very sad but I know she is going to make some good choices and it will work itself out.  She has continued to nuture numerous friendships, which we have encouraged her to do, so when one relationship is on the rocks she can possibly count on another friend for support or at least to play with at recess.  The main reason why I am writing this is that I am so happy that she felt she could come to me to talk about the issue.  I've always had that relationship with my own mom and it was such a blessing.  I am doing something right - both Ian and I are being great parents!  Let's hope she always feels she can talk to us.

Jean's temper tantrum has subsided but I think she found her soother.  Sheesh.  Off to go and fight another parenting battle... or not.  Maybe I'll let her win this time, again.  She is the youngest, you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment