Friday 17 February 2012

My Wishes after a Tragedy

Ian's cousin, Andrew, passed away two weeks ago.  It is hard to believe even after all we went through... being with his immediate family, visiting with his wife and children, attending his memorial, even seeing where his accident occurred.  It still feels a bit unreal.  I watch Ian these days and I see a change and it makes me sad.  He is sad. 
I think about Natalie, Andrew's wife, every day.  When I met them for the first time, I felt a connection to Natalie.  Being the inlaw "outlaws" we had something in common - marrying men in the Denniston family!  She is so much fun, speaks her mind, is ambitious and has a creative side - all of which I'm certain her husband LOVED about her!  I love her for those things as well and we always say we wish we lived closer to eachother.  They always made a point of visiting with us here when they came to Ontario to see family and friends and Ian and I will cherish those times forever. 
Natalie is a strong person but this is going to be really hard.  I want to send some of my own strength to her - I wish I could help her - clean her house, feed her girls, take her coffee, make her meals, and just sit with her when she needs someone to lean on. 

When Andrew died, it was so tragic.  So many people at his memorial service expressed their feelings about him and described what a great person he was.  We left feeling like we had a reality check - he knew how to live life and  knew what was really important and he certainly made an impact on hundreds and hundreds of people.  It was amazing to witness.  I feel that his parents, who are wonderful people, raised an extraordinary person who touched so many people's lives.  Natalie and Andrew were a great team and added two beautiful little girls to their team - now they have to find a way to live without him.  They will but it will be hard and at times, painful.  I wish them peace and I wish his family peace as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment