Friday 16 March 2012

Parting with the Past

Tomorrow is a big day for me.  For most of the women I know, they don't hesitate when it comes to this, but I do.  My husband is the same, actually he is even worse - we like to hang on to things that mean something to us.  I know it is just "stuff" but it has sentimental value - it all represents a special time for our family and it is time to move on, turn a page, move into the next era in our life.

Tomorrow I have rented a table to sell our children's items.  Toys, clothes, books and items we used for our children when they were very young, will be part of this sale.  I have spent the past few weeks collecting "stuff" that I am ready to part with.  The other day I spent time going through every piece of little boy clothing I have... all the little clothes Alex wore.  It was so precious.  I remembered so many pieces and how cute he was as a baby.  When our children were babies it was a special time - so many cuddles, celebrating their little accomplishments, watching them grow so fast. 

Time keeps moving on though and I'm going to move with it.  We are really enjoying these times - watching them turn into little people with thoughts, feelings, opinions, and passions.  Having 3 children was not our plan; we wanted more than that but we also had no idea what it was like to raise children.  It seems now that having our 3 is enough.  Over the past 8 years of being a mommy, I've learned so many new things about myself.  I need to be home and available for my children, hence I resigned from my teaching position a few years ago.  I also know that I don't like to just stay at home with my kids - I need to get out and do things with them and Ian isn't always available to be with us so I can manage 3 children really well.  I am also learning that I yearn for "me" time and that means small segments of time without having to care for the kids but also time to have my own professional goals.  All that being said, my first and most important job is to be there for them and our business allows me to do that.  I am not sure where a fourth baby would fit into my picture, I know it would find a space but I don't think I want it to.  I am looking forward to taking the kids to their activities and playdates without a baby in tow. 

It is time to part with the past and move on - not without a few tears though.  So tomorrow when my table has customers crowding around it and I'm making lots of money (wishful thinking) I can part with our things with a good feeling and let someone else enjoy those items. 

By the way, if I happen to find myself in need of a diaper bag, I will go out a buy a beautiful stylish one!

No comments:

Post a Comment