Monday 29 April 2013

Chatting With Mom

You know those days when you feel you just can't accomplish anything?  Today was one of those days.  The weekend...well it was a busy one.  Filled with a dance competition in Ottawa on Saturday, a birthday party on Saturday night and more dance activities on Sunday... and, to top it all off, Ian was working in the field most of that time so it was just the kids and I!  I was exhausted!


 
 
Monday morning rolled around and the to-do list was full of cleaning, checking and replying to emails, swimming lessons, errands (there are always errands) and cleaning the house.  Ugh.  By the middle of the afternoon I felt like I had done nothing productive and the kids would be getting off the bus soon and we would head off to Alex's last night of basketball.  Every time I turned around there was something else to throw me off track.  Then my mom called.  We chatted for a while; I got caught up on the news from "home" and then my negativity started about how I'm accomplishing so little these days.  I complained about how my house is so dirty, we haven't done any home renovations recently and I can't imagine when or how it will all get done. 
Then she gave me her thoughts.  She reminded me of what I actually did this weekend - I was with our children, providing them with amazing experiences that will last a lifetime.  THAT is my job right now and I easily forget how important that job is.  She told me that the dust will always be there but these moments with the kids won't be.  Oh how I needed to hear that - to be reminded about how amazing our life really is and how lucky we are that we can provide such awesome experiences for our children.  Thanks mom!  We need to chat more often.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment