Monday 23 September 2013

Shin Splints

I turned 36 in August and then a few weeks later I had a visit with my doctor.  These two factors have spurred me into action and as I explained before, the "cleanse" didn't last but becoming a lot more active has and I am proud to say that I have conquered 5 weeks of the "Couch to 5K in 8 weeks" program and tonight I finished the middle of week 6.  I have noticed a huge improvement in my stamina and feel really fantastic afterwards (well after I've recovered my breath).  Tonight is a different story though.  I am feeling the effects of shin splints and tonight was the worst that I have felt after my run.  Ugh.  I really hope there is a cure... any suggestions would be appreciated.

On the bright side, I think I just might be a positive influence on my beautiful oldest daughter, Grace.  This morning she joined the Cross Country team for her school.  She has always disliked running but I might just be providing her with some inspiration.  I am very proud of her and she had a lot of fun this morning.

1 comment:

  1. Good work Deb! I used to get shin splints but then I started running more in the barefoot style - landing on the middle of my foot instead of my heel - and I haven't had a problem since. That way your calf muscle and achilles tendon are absorbing the impact instead of your shin. My calf muscles were really sore when I started (I started with very short runs) but now nothing hurts when I run.

    ReplyDelete