Monday 12 May 2014

My First 10K Race

I am a little behind recording some events in our life.  Spring has sprung and I am entrenched with my usual workload at this time of year... housework, yard work, business work and running around to all my kid's events.  I love it all and feel so lucky to have these opportunities to do so much but as a result, my blog gets put on the back-burner.  If it doesn't make it on the to-do list, it doesn't get done so I put it on today.  I spent much of today at Grace's cross country meet.  It is a beautiful day for running and I am so proud of her running again on the cross-country team.

But...

This blog post is not about my kids; it is about ME!

I have spent the past few months training to complete a 10K roadrace and I actually did it!

On Saturday May 3, 2014, I drove Ian's old truck down the road to Carp and met up with friends to run my first 10K race.  Four days previous, I had run my first distance of 10K and felt a huge amount of joy but then I noticed a very large and bruised up blister on my right foot and limped for a couple days after.  I spent more money on bandaids, socks and cream than I had ever in my life but it was all worth it because by Saturday I was ready to go and felt great.


I am 36 years old.  I spent most of my childhood being nervous about competing in sports.  I have very athletic siblings and my parents supported us in all of our sporting endeavors but I always felt that I wasn't very good so why bother.  I played sports for fun in university and as an adult I have done various fitness activities but this past year I found myself committing to something I never would have thought I could commit to.  I have spent a few years starting and stopping running activities but last summer I truly committed and at the end of October, I completed my first 5K.  Around Christmas time I decided that I could and should try to run a further distance.  I began training (in small amounts) throughout winter but we don't own a treadmill so I had to run outside.  This winter was a cold and long season but I persevered and bought a few items to help me through, such as a balaclava, warm running pants and covers for my running shoes to help keep me going on ice.  I made myself a goal to run a certain route while on vacation in Florida so that kept me going before we left and once we returned, I just continued.  The May 3 Diefenbunker Run came up very quickly but I gave myself no choice but to be ready.

There are so many people out there (many ladies I talk to) that don't think they could run.  Running 10K would be impossible.  I am proof that it is possible.  Starting small and just keep working at it.  I will never forget when I ran for 8 minutes straight.  I started to cry.  Now I can run over an hour straight, without stopping!  It is all "baby-steps" and pushing yourself to do something out of your comfort zone.  I do not consider myself athletic but I am truly active, healthy and happy.  I can run with my kids!   I can show them that anything is possible if you just try hard and don't give up.

I had no idea at the time, but I came in second from last in this 10K race.  I have my sights set on doing another and my competitiveness drives me to run it even faster.  It doesn't matter what place I came in (even though it smarts a bit) but that I did it... I DID IT!  Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that I could but I can.

3 comments:

  1. This is just so awesome Deb!!! And I just love this photo of you... it shows the joy that you talk about in your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Deb! You're truly an inspiration!
    PS. Thank you so much for the soccer stuff - we so appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog post Deb! And your follow-up quote - that is so true. Congratulations on finishing a 10 k race and on setting such a good example for you family and friends!

    ReplyDelete