Thursday 12 June 2014

What Fills My Soul?

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. What fills my soul?  Deep, isn't it?  I am not normally so deep and inspirational but when life gets even more hectic than usual, I tend to lose my balance. Over the years I have learned that I need to be filled up with what takes me to my happy places.  I can't function well unless I have taken care of that side of me then I can move forward and fast. 

To be truthful, I enjoy being busy. I like a full calendar but every so often I need a blank day and at this time of year, a half-day will do the trick. As a mom of three young kids and wife of a farmer, it isn't hard to get swept up in housework, yard work, and business work but I know that I have to take time for myself to be content. 

I have always been creative. I love the arts and have immersed myself in various hobbies over the years. For the past 8 years (since I was 8 months pregnant with my middle child) I have been quilting and of all of my artistic hobbies, this has been my favourite. There are times when I am sewing almost every day and other times I go weeks without being in my sewing area of the house but I now know that I need to make time for it, no matter how much and I will feel content. I also enjoy painting and remodelling pieces of furniture is a lot of fun. I want to make more time for that in the fall when I have more time to myself.  I love to make things. 
Working on a creative project fills my soul. 

I also need to make time for friends. I don't need a lot of time but spending time with girlfriends is very important to me. It helps me feel connected and ensures me that I am not alone. I now know that not everyone feels this way. My husband can go quite a long time without connecting with friends but once he does, he enjoys it and then gets back to spending most of his time with family. We are all different and it takes different things to make us happy and feel content. 

Have you ever thought what fills you up?  What makes you feel balanced and happy?  I think it has been good to assess this about myself and being aware of what I need gives me the confidence to take care of myself. It isn't always easy "wearing so many hats" and taking time for ourselves, as moms, is hard. It is hard not to feel guilty but I am striving to take more control over my life and use what time I have to take care of myself. 

Off to bed and hoping for a good nights sleep. 




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful work and oh so well said Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto the previous comment! I just packed my sewing away for a while ... hopefully not too long!

    ReplyDelete