Tuesday 4 September 2012

My First Day of School

We had a big change in our home today.  Our youngest, Jean, began her school career today as a Junior Kindergarten student.  As they say, time flies, especially when you are having fun and we have been having a lot of fun as a young family.  Jean was nervous this morning, as I am sure the other two were as well, but I was focussed on her the most.  She has been very excited to start school but this morning she was very quiet.  We took Grace and Alex to the bus and she waited patiently for me to take her to school for her appointment time to meet with her teachers.  As she walked into her class and slowly wandered around her new environment she was not herself.  She was nervous but showed me no tears.  As it was time for me to leave she just sat down beside the Principal, who was reading the rest of the children a story.  Her day will be busy, exciting but I'm sure her emotions are all over the place.
I am sad today.  I have been at home with our children for 6 years and it has been wonderful.  It is a big change for me to not have children at home during the day but despite my excitement for my new-found freedom, I am emotional.  I miss Jean today.  I guess it will just take some time to get used to my new life but today I can't wait until they get home.  I can't wait to hear about their classes, teachers and friends.  Mostly I can't wait to see Jean's face as she steps off that big yellow bus.  I hope she has a big, beautiful smile!


4 comments:

  1. Such a hard day, isn't it?
    I still have one baby at home, but I shed some tears today too.
    Hugs to you Deb! Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. You've launched 3 precious kids into the school world. Hooray!
    If you are lonely, come for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm coming over soon!!!! Visit with you and then a visit to Costco!

      Delete
  2. Beautifully said, Deb! I can't imagine what my day will be like when my youngest goes to JK. I'm sure I'll feel a lot like you're feeling now. How was the first day of school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great first day and even better second day - for all of them! Jean seems to like the bus the best... so far.

    ReplyDelete