Sunday 14 October 2012

New Traditions

Mom and her grandchildren:  L-R, Clare, Jean, Grace, holding Alison
This weekend the kids and I enjoyed a sunny but cool cottage weekend with my mom, sister and my nieces.  My mom decided to plan a weekend getaway between our two homes (we live 6 hours apart) to a cottage where we could enjoy relaxing, playing and just plain bonding with eachother.  Despite all of our hectic schedules we made it work and had a great time.  There were just a couple of "downers" such as the poor condition of the cottage and the lack of sleep BUT despite that it was wonderful.  As usual, my mom planned it perfectly to include good food, fun kids activities (an entertaining Halloween party) and good wine. 












 
 Being together is good for our souls but getting together can be difficult.  When we do find the time, it is relaxing and fun.  My own children love to see their cousins and I love how my neices, Clare and Alison, just fall into my little family dynamic so easily.  They are full of hugs for me which makes my heart sing.  It is so easy to love neices and nephews and those two girls are no different.  Alison almost let me take her home with me (I am a bit lonely for a little munchkin at home during the daytime) but Carollyn wouldn't let me put her in my van. 
 
During supper tonight, I asked the kids what their favourite part of the weekend was and Alex replied that he loved seeing Clare (isn't that sweet?) and going to the playground, Jean loved the play structure the best and Grace loved it all!  My favourite part was after the children were sleeping and we could sit down and relax and chat about our lives.  My mom is very proud of my sister and I and it shows.  We come from a long line of strong women (body and soul) even though life hasn't always been easy.  Being together is the most meaningful part of my weekend.  It is a nice tradition to start... just my mom and her daughters and grandchildren.  Let's hope we can meet again like this next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment