Friday 21 March 2014

Baking Bread

I have always been interested in baking bread. I love all things related to bread; freshly baked bread is my ultimate favourite. There is nothing more comforting than walking into a kitchen that smells of baking...
The concept of baking bread has always left me confused. There are recipes galore out there but nothing compares to learning to bake bread from a seasoned baker. There are so many factors that allow bread to come out perfectly such as the temperature of the room, how to give life to yeast, types of flour and how to knead. This is not easily explained in a recipe. 
On the other hand, this doesn't stop me. I found a recipe today that made my kitchen smell amazing and didn't take me all day to prepare. I started at 4:30pm and was done by 6:00pm and this was the first time so the next time should be even faster.  I should point out that I made buns, which I am assuming do not take as long to prepare as bread. The following is the website which provides the recipe and pictures to follow. Easy peasy. 


They came out of the oven beautifully and not 30 minutes later this is what was left of them:


I am on my bread-making journey!

There are many reasons why I want to make bread for my family. The most important is that I strive to serve my family wholesome foods. The other day I was going through the checkout at my local grocery store. The clerk helping me was having a conversation with the customer behind me, someone she knew. They were discussing "this amazing bread that lasts for weeks without going bad". They were both raving about it. Seriously??? Do you know what is in that bread? I will take bread that goes stale and moulds over that kind everyday.  Yuck. 

Tonight's recipe was a success but I hope to shadow a bread maker one of these days... 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Deb... I would be happy to give you a lesson of the oatmeal bread or whole wheat bread made with the Kitchenaid mixer ... Just let me know. It's easy peasy too... You just need a couple of hours free where you are working in the kitchen or close by. Let's make a date! Love, Janie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this Deb! I'm thinking of all the women who were on bread making journeys at Glenroy. I think, for a woman, preparing bread for your family is a spiritual practice - something that brings peace and contentment, Aunt Janie has promised me a bread lesson as well so maybe we could plan it together. Love Margy

    ReplyDelete